Web Design encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production, maintenance of websites. The diversity of the skills required by a web developer is quite large, often to the point it is difficult for a web designer to excel in all aspects. As a result, a team may cover the Web Design process, with each member of the team having their own strengths, specialties and role in the development process.
Web Design involves implementing specific solutions that follow the business rules and objectives outlined by the clients. Web Designers have to be close to their clients, interacting with them in order to develop a deep understanding of the requirements and convert these into a website specification. Strong design and communication skills, coupled with research techniques and a grasp of target audiences, markets and trends, will ensure initial client satisfaction and credibility for the Web Designer.
Having completed the website planning and design, the Web Designer then integrates the website with third party tools and platforms. During the development process web designers design and develop the databases, create programs, tests and debug the website. The current trend is to also integrate the website with Social Media and take advantage of the leverage these modern platforms bring.
All these skills may apply equally to the re-design or an upgrade of an existing website.
A Web Designer has many employment opportunities. This can range from being a self-employed freelancer to being employed by media organizations and advertising agencies. Inside any position they may have broad roles or specialize in Graphic Design, Client Management, Front End Development, Back End/Server Side Development and User End Designer. Whichever role a web designer chooses to specialize in they will need to have access to ICT facilities, open source libraries and frameworks.
High performing Web Designers may have broad or specialist web-related skills. However, to excel they must have a strong grasp of copyright law and a well-developed personal code of ethics. They must understand artistic values, and take personal responsibility for being constantly at the forefront of trends and web technology. They must also be responsive to clients and have the ability to work in structured and unstructured teams and groups. These qualities enable the Web Designer to contribute and take advantage of this rapidly developing aspect of modern communications technology.
Web design encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production and maintenance of websites. These include:
- Meeting with clients to discuss and evaluate requirements
- Helping the client understand how a website will accomplish their business objectives and set key performance indicators for success
- Designing the layout and selecting appropriate typography and colour schemes
- Implementing HTML and CSS mark-up to create the website layout
- Use open source libraries
- User Interface Design
- Integrating with third-party platforms (eg. Content Management System (CMS))
- Designing and developing databases
- Creating PHP programs that interact and manipulate data
- Debug website issues and bugs
- Improving search engine performance via Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Testing the website functions correctly in multiple browsers, at different resolutions and on different devices
- Social media integration
- Re-designing an existing website
What the Competitors do at the Competition
The development of a website often involves a sequence of developmental phases:
- creating elements for the web site
- client side coding
- server side programming
The process of development may vary involving a different order of phases. The Web Designer may be provided completed portions of a website such as a completed database or a completed user interface (UI). Through the sequence of developmental phases ongoing testing takes place.
- View all Web Design photos on Flickr
Web Design Competitors in 2015
United Arab Emirates
Hong Kong, China
United States of America
Members that will compete in Web Design in 2015